Top 5 Must Haves on Long Flights
As I prepare to fly from Oregon back to Louisiana for school, I’ve put together a list of simple things I need and ALWAYS forget.
5. A magazine of some sort. I tend to always remember once I’m at the airport (buy them before you get to the airport to save money) and spend WAY to much. I’m pretty basic with my choices. I always buy ESPN the Magazine, Forbes, and Mens Health. Three of the longer magazines for their category and that is my strategy. With long flights it is good to have something to keep busy.
4. Sunglasses. Sounds outrageous and a little like a bozo fashion statement since we are indoors on a flight right? Not at all. When you get stuck in a middle or aisle seat and there’s a youngster with the window seat, you will want some shades. Sometimes the passenger with the window seat just doesn’t want to close the window. So, sunglasses will save any discomfort with your, “what did I do to deserve this,” aisle mates during your trip. Obviously however if you’re flying at night, ditch the shades and trade them for a pillow.
3. Snacks. Airlines have been cutting back on giving out meals, let alone simple bags of PEANUTS! So, get some snacks before you board your flight. I was on a 6 hour flight in 2010 with a major airline and all they served was a complimentary beverage.
2. Ginger Ale. Ginger ale is more of a superstition to me now and this is a bias personal choice for number 2. Ever since my first flight I’ve had ginger ale for my drink of choice. But, if that is not your thing then of course they have plenty of other options to quench your thirst.
1. iPod and headphones. My number one must have while at an airport and on a plane. Music is a great way to make time fly and conquer any sense of boredom. I suggest you get the new iPod Touch for its battery life and apps. The choice for games you can download nearly seems endless. Angry Birds has been the one I have been stuck on lately. And for headphones I suggest Beats by Dre. The Beats by Dre cancel out the sound of the plane and passengers and even have a sound pause button on the ear for when the pilot has any announcements.
Well, that is my Top 5 Must Haves on Long Flights. And trust me, I know I left a lot off that would be on a lot of other peoples top 5 lists. So go ahead and comment and let me have it on what I missed!
Written by Kyle Mauch